Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Good Job!

In the "real world," you get praise and a pat on the back when you complete a big project, find a way to save the company money, give great customer service or do more than what is required by your job description.  When your job is mommy/wife this praise is often absent even though big projects like the dishes, laundry and grocery shopping are completed everyday, and clipping coupons or cutting back saves your family money every month and when is the last time you didn't serve your husband or kids with a smile and I don't know a single mother who doesn't do way more than her "job description" requires.  So where is our praise.  I mean really we should be employee of the month, every month.

Leron will eat anything I put in front of him.  He doesn't complain if he doesn't like he just won't eat seconds.  If it actually pretty hard to guage if he truly likes something or not.  However, this week I have actually gotten verbal affirmation that two new recipes I tried were awesome and worth making again.  He even said with one I shouldn't change a thing!

If that isn't the same thing as an employee of the month award, I don't know what is.  Since it worked so well with my family, I thought I would pass along the recipes for you to try with your family.

White Chicken Chili

2T Olive Oil
1 Rotisserie Chicken or 6 cooked chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
2 1/2 c chicken broth
1 4oz can diced green chilies
2t garlic powder
2t ground cumin
1t dried oregano
1t dried cilantro
1/4t cayenne pepper
1 15oz can northern white beans
1c sour cream or cream cheese if you prefer it creamier
Garnish: Cheese, more sour cream, avocado, salsa

Pull all meat off the chicken or cube cooked chicken breasts, set aside.  Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.  Saute onion 5 minutes until it is tender.  Stir in broth, chicken, chilies, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro, cayenne pepper and beans.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Just prior to serving add sour cream/cream cheese.  Serve, garnish with sour cream, cheese, avocado and/or salsa

This is so super easy and quick but tastes amazing!  It is also low carb and pretty healthy!

Roasted Rubbed Chicken

4t salt
2t paprika
1/2t cayenne pepper
1/2t garlic powder
1t pepper
1t thyme
1 whole chicken
1c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced

In a small bowl, combine spices.  Remove giblets from chicken, rinse cavity, pat dry with paper towels.  With your fingers, gently separate skin from meat to form pockets.  Fill pockets with spice rub using your fingers to get it well covered.  Sprinkle remaining spice rub on outside of chicken covering evenly.  Cover chicken and refrigerate overnight.  When ready to roast, stuff cavity with chopped onion and minced garlic (add more or less garlic as your family likes), and place in a shallow pan.  Roast uncovered at 250 for 4 hours.  After at least 2 hours (mine took almost 2 1/2 hours to produce juices) baste chicken with pan juices every 30 minutes.  Let chicken rest 30 minutes before carving.

Enjoy!

Lenten Daily Challenge: Resolve to go the entire day without judging or criticizing anyone
Rosary Special Intention: For all babies

God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment