It is very easy for me to get weighed down by all of my wife, mother, business responsibilities. From cooking and cleaning, to diapers and bath time, to quickbooks and spreadsheets I am spread pretty thin most days.
Even with all this going on I try to find time for carefree timelessness with myself and with Leron. Matthew Kelly gives a great talk about becoming the best version of you where I first heard the idea of carefree timelessness. Kelly claims that if you give a relationship carefree timelessness it will thrive, if you starve a relationship of carefree timelessness it will wither and possibly die.
Finding alone time is hard with two young kids and a husband who doesn't really work a typical 9-5 type job. For my alone time, carefree timelessness with myself, I get up early 2-3 times a week and go to the gym. I also try at least once a week to relax during nap time letting the dishes, laundry, etc go. Sometimes during this time I read or enjoy a cup of coffee, but usually I use the time to decompress, think and pray.
Carefree timelessness with Leron is a little more difficult to come by. We used to spend hours on tractors together or fishing when I would come visit on the weekend. Carefree timelessness doesn't really exist when you have children. You really have to try to find it and at first it will feel like work.
We are very fortunate to have family nearby who watch the girls. When it is just the two of us, sometimes we do dinner and a movie but usually we try to do more unique things. Recently we have had to get kind of creative. We have used trips to pick out paint samples or flooring as adventures. An afternoon meeting with our tax accountant was a date. We have taken advantage of sleeping girls in the car and try to drive to a road we haven't driven on before.
We try very hard to find time together because we know how important it is for our relationship. It may seem difficult now to find the time, but it is well worth the trouble.
So while I miss the endless hours on a tractor in an open field from our dating days, carefree timelessness in its "parent" form is still a lot of fun and a huge blessing.
Lenten Daily Challenge: Make a list of the ways you can support the poor and resolve to do one activity each week
Rosary Special Intention: For all couples to find time for timelessness
God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife
No comments:
Post a Comment