Growing up as one of eight children didn't allow for a lot of silence. Living on my own after college, silence terrified me and made me feel very alone. Sundays were always the worst. I would go to church and then come back to my apartment alone. I longed for the big breakfast with the family followed by cleaning the house while my dad blared Handel's Messiah and when the weather was good we would all be outside helping rake leaves, pull weeds or just playing in the yard. It is pretty intimidating to be alone feeling like the silence is engulfing you.
I rediscovered the blessing of silence after getting married. Maybe it was because I was no longer alone but silence always seemed deeper more meaningful, useful even. It was wonderful and is wonderful to be so very connected to another human being that no words are necessary to convey your emotions, thoughts, desires and feelings.
One of my favorite things to do is lay out under the stars and remind myself just how small and insignificant I am. In the silence of a warm summer night, you can hear life stirring around you and I become extremely grateful that God loved me enough to give me life and let me live it. There is a song I have been listening to a lot recently, In Me by Casting Crowns. The line "how refreshing to know you don't need me how amazing to find that you want me" is something I could think about endlessly and still not be able to wrap my head around.
God is amazing and awesome. Take some time in silence today to thank Him for the blessings in your life and to ask Him what he wants from you "cause i'll never get by living on my own ability"
Casting Crowns In Me on YouTube
Lenten Daily Challenge: Pick a Saint to learn about and imitat. Ask for his or her special help and protection during Lent.
Rosary Special Intention: To save one sinner's soul from hell
God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife
No comments:
Post a Comment