Why is it that the anticipation and excitement of the first day of a long journey only lasts so long?
I was so looking forward to Ash Wednesday with its fasting and focus on change that I forgot to think about Thursday.
I remember waking up the morning after my wedding in a daze half disappointed that the day had gone by so quickly that I hardly got to enjoy it. My disappointment soon went away when I realized I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend and while it was a great time the wedding was just the introduction to the party that my married life would be.
And so life goes, we believe some event or material possession will make us feel complete on to be disappointed when it doesn't live up to our expectations.
Managing expectations is another blessing I have received being a farmer's wife. Farmers are the most optimistic pessimists according to Leron. Today may be crappy but tomorrow will surely be better. Grain prices are always going to be higher tomorrow and they always sell too soon.
When you are always counting on tomorrow to be better it is hard to be too disappointed by today.
Lenten Daily Challenge: Choose Lenten offerings of prayer, penance and almsgiving
Rosary Special Intention: All unborn babies
God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife
No comments:
Post a Comment