I am a product of my generation and upbringing. Growing up in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis, it was not unusual to see classmates receive a brand new car on their 16th birthday. Today, more than ever before, technology has brought advertisers and consumers together. The message is a constant barrage of "life changing" products, "mind blowing" gadgets and "cannot live without it" items. With this onslaught, it can be hard to remember that stuff cannot bring true happiness.
Leron has always seemed to be able to rise above this consumer mentality favoring anything, everything and any one old. Not knowing him in high school, I have beard many stories about how he drove the girls wild and was voted best dressed thanks in large part to hand me down clothes his father wore in the 70s. Then in college there was this pair of jeans he wore, to hear him tell the story the girls nearly fell down they were so weak in the knees. I wouldn't believe this story until it was told unprompted by no less than five girls.
This vintage love goes beyond clothes. A tractor with a little rust is "a stud" and a little old woman, no younger than 75, is Leron's perfect woman. I understood the little old woman affinity right away. Those women are awesome and true ladies. It took me a little longer to understand the tractors still believing newer equals better technology, more efficient etc.
A rusty tractor is a stud for two reasons. 1) It has been used and used and used and is still doing its job and 2) You have to have some skill as a real farmer to get the older equipment to produce a decent crop.
So rust is my small farming blessing for today. I hope that I get used and used and used by God and I keep going strong because I know God has the skill necessary to be a "farmer" of my gifts and talents.
Lenten Daily Challenge: Raise the level of your prayer today and really think about eh meaning of the words you are saying
Rosary Special Intention: For my sister Laura
God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife
PS- As a follow up to the daily challenge in my post Saturday, I have selected Saint Philomena to learn about and imitate. Saint Philomena, pray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment