Monday, April 30, 2012

What do you say?

I saw a TV commercial recently about smartphone beta testers that really bothered me.  Maybe you have seen the one I am refering to, there is a girl who sees two friends on the sidewalk and asks the one how she and her boyfriend are doing.  The friend immediately breaks into tears refusing to talk to the girl who asked the question.  Then the girl, speaking to the camera, claims that any time her phone didn't update her with her friends most recent status she was not just being insensitive, she was being a beta tester.

This little exchange bothers me for so many reasons.
1.  I haven't bought into the whole smartphone thing and I am not sure they are such a good idea
2.  There are things you shouldn't put on facebook
3.  It is not insensitive for someone to ask a question about how your life is going.
4.  Expecting someone to know everything about you because you posted something on facebook is not the same thing as communication, a relationship or a friendship.
5.  Getting upset because someone asked you a question you didn't particularly like is not mature nor the proper way to respond. 

As a society it seems we walk on egg shells more and more every day.  We are afraid of not being politically correct or offending someone if we voice our opinion or stand for something.  We live in a world that would prefer you stand for nothing so it attacks if you stand for anything.  Politicians are a great example of saying nothing with a whole lot of words.  If you ever actually listen, they say nothing, never answer a question directly and constantly hedge their bets.

When did we become such cowards?  When did it become so much more important to not rock the boat than to stand up for what you believe? 

I am not exempting myself from this either.  I am full of fear about confronting someone with unpleasant news or a stance I know is contrary to their own.  I worry I will offend someone if I point out a flaw in their argument or disagree with their facebook post.  Being a Christian means getting beyond this fear and worry and spreading the good news about Jesus no matter how unwelcome it may be.

So, what do you say?  When someone is acting in a very unChristian manner, what do you say?  When someone posts on facebook something that is ridiculous, untrue, hurtful or just unnecessary, what do you say?  When someone is living their life contrary to the 10 commandments, what do you say?

I wish there was an easy answer.  Some will shut down if you publicly chastise them, so maybe sending a private message or an email or calling is the right thing to do.  Some won't listen no matter what you do or say or post.  Sometimes the only thing you can say is a pray for them. 

For the past few months, I have prayed for more courage and strength and the right words to say when situations arise.  It is not a fast transformation from timid to courageous, but the gradual steps are bringing me closer to God, making me stronger, bolder and at the same time more loving and understanding.

I pray that you can find the right words when the time comes for you to speak up.

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me. " Martin Niemoller

What do you say?

God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment