Friday, May 25, 2012

God's Time

After a short and unintentional hiatus due to moving and a lack of internet, I am back to blogging at least once a week.

Can you think of the last time you weren’t waiting for something or someone?  When you are single, you are looking for Mr. /Mrs. Right.  When you are engaged, you are waiting for that wonderful wedding day.  When you are pregnant, you are waiting for the baby to make its grand entrance.  But we also wait for the smaller daily things.  We wait for a red light to turn to green.  We wait for the commercial to end to return us to our TV or radio program.  We wait for a phone call, email or text.  We wait for the repairman or installation guy.  If you are like me, you hurry through the grocery store just to wait in the checkout line.  Most days, I wait for the girl’s bedtime for a little peace and quiet.  With all this waiting, it is easy to wonder if God is listening to those big and little prayers for time to speed up.
Building a house is all about waiting.  We waited until we had the time and money to get started.  We waited for the weather to be dry enough to start excavating the basement.  We waited for our builder to finish another house before starting on ours.  We waited for each stage of building to be completed, knowing each stage brought us closer to our goal of living there.  In the past few months, we have waited for the finishing touches to be finished.  This seems like the most painful waiting.  Small, seemingly minor details that I have been mentally obsessing over for months seem to drag on at a snail’s pace.  And then is the day you have been waiting for and time ceases to exist.
When you meet Mr. /Mrs. Right time seems to stand still, the past seems insignificant and the future seems infinite.  The engagement seems like it flew by as you are heading down the aisle in a white gown.  After 9 months of pregnancy and several hours or days of painful labor, the doctor hands you your baby and the pain disappears.  A few days later a nurse is letting you walk out of the hospital completely responsible for another life, and then you blink and are celebrating her first birthday, then high school graduation then her wedding.
My 26th birthday was Monday, May 7.  I thought the last 4 birthdays were pretty awesome.  When I turned 22, I was celebrating my first real job, my first apartment and being a college graduate.  When I turned 23, I was celebrating being engaged and busily planning our wedding.  At 24, I was pregnant with Nalley and couldn’t imagine my life getting any better.  Then at 25, I was able to celebrate with Nalley while being pregnant with Felicity, certain my life was about as close to perfect as possible.  26 topped them all.  I doubt this year will be as notable as any of the previous years, but the actual day will be one I remember always.
At 8:00AM, we received an offer for our house in town.  At 1:30PM, we received our occupancy permit for our new house in the country.  This unique timing got me thinking about how amazing God is.  In His infinite wisdom, He knew the perfect gift for me was a little peace of mind, a little less stress and a big deep breath.  This timing is easier to see on the big things like home sales, but it is there on the small things too.  Red lights lasting just long enough for your favorite song to come on the radio.  While waiting for an email, you notice an opportunity to catch up with friends on facebook.  While waiting for bedtime for quiet time, the kids take an awesome nap.  I am sure there is some God timing in waiting for the phone install guy but after waiting on 2 different days only to receive bad news, I am having a hard time seeing it right now.
God is amazing.  When we don’t receive something we ask for in prayer, it is not because He isn’t listening.  It just isn’t time yet.  Dream big, pray bigger and wait for God’s perfect timing.

God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer’s Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment