I think in one way or another we are all a product of our environment. I don't want to get into a nature v nurture debate but I truly think that if you're exposed to a positive behavior or idea long enough you will start doing that behavior. Likewise, the exposure to negative ideas and behaviors will also be repeted. So I can't really blame Leron for the particular quirk that sparked my thought process today. The blame really falls to my father-in-law Lee.
I have nothing but love and respect for Lee. He is an extremely caring, hardworking, loving husband and father. He has definitely taught Leron many lessons on being a good man, husband and father. I am thankful that my girls have a man like Lee in their lives who will protect and defend them. And his intimidating stature doesn't hurt with the whole defending thing! So with all these positives you may be thinking why blame him. That's a fair thought that I answer with one word; hoarding.
Lee saves everything. Now he is not so bad to be on a tv show, but I really think if he didn't have MaryLou he might get there. He stacks magazines on top of a cabinet because the cabinet itself is so full of more magazines. He helped re-do the girls room. We took the wooden knob off of a closet door. Lee got a little tin can, put the knob in it and instructed us to save it because you just never know when you might need a knob just like that. Leron told me he picked out the best gift for his dad's birthday coming up in June. The bad news, we would have to get two of them or Lee wouldn't use it. Why two? One to use, one to keep.
It is this mentality that Leron has acquired from his dad. Save it, hold it back, don't use it yet. I can't tell you the number of times I have gotten Leron tools that he just won't use because they are so nice and new and he doesn't want to break them. Have you seen these new Heinz ketchup cups that you can pour or dip? Leron got some of those with his lunch from DQ today. Did he use them? Of course not, he kept them because he might use them later. He will get new clothes and I might as well buy him two of everything because he won't wear it otherwise.
These quirks really do make me love these guys more. It is what makes them unique and interesting. But this holding back got me thinking of what I hold back. Am I giving my all every day as I cook, clean, do the laundry, run errands? How many days do I end the day with the list of things I didn't get done today that I hope I get done tomorrow? How many times have I held something back from God afraid to use my gift or talent for his glory?
There seems never to be enough hours in the day to get done what needs to be done, but what if there were no more tomorrows? I am not sure if I stood in front of Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates tonight I could confidently say I gave my all. I am not sure the gifts that were given to me weren't buried. So I hope for another day, pray for strength, confidence and courage and wake up to try harder.
What are you holding back from God? Your spouse? Your kids? Your family? Your work? Yourself?
Lenten Daily Challenge: Forgive an offense you may have suffered and let God by the final judge
God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife
No comments:
Post a Comment