There are three things we are called to do during Lent. They are fast, abstain and give alms.
Since it is the first Friday of Lent, I thought I would just
touch upon abstaining today.
Abstinence is refraining from eating meat. In lent we are called to abstain on Friday as
well as Good Friday and Ash Wednesday.
This abstinence is a small sacrifice on our part to remind
us of the huge sacrifice Jesus made on a Friday. He gave us his life.
Growing up, I never really thought not eating meat on Friday
was all that difficult. I usually ate
cold cereal and milk for breakfast before school so no changes there. My school always offered cheese pizza or
fried fish for lunch and there was always the salad bar. For dinner, my mom was awesome and had that
covered.
Now that I am in charge of the menu and we prefer a hot
breakfast with meat and my kids aren’t in school and my husband eats lunch at
home most days, no meat on Friday requires a little more work from me and I am
finding it much more difficult than I once did.
It now means I have to plan a little, make a menu, go grocery shopping
and be very active about my participation in abstaining.
So today I challenge you to take an active role in whatever
you have dedicated yourself to for Lent.
Make a meatless dinner if you are used to going to the local fish fry or
pack your kids lunches if you are used to letting them eat at school. Your participation will make this Lent that
much more meaningful to you and will deepen your relationship with Christ. After all, one day of sacrificing meat is
nothing compared to sacrificing your entire life on a cross.
God Bless!
Hannah
The Farmer's Wife
No comments:
Post a Comment